Instead of sleeping in and hitting the beach this summer, we decided to intern at RainDance Technologies. The friendly environment has made it easy for us to adapt quickly and provided us with motivation to learn and excel in our work.
Before joining the team, we had some misconceptions about working at a biotech company such as:
- Formal business attire
- Limited social interaction
- All work, no play
- Being the office door mat – i.e., ordered around to get coffee for senior employees
- Getting assigned to do mundane tasks
As you can see, we had an idea of what it would be like to work in an office environment, but it ended up being much different from what we expected. Here are the realities of interning at RainDance:
- Employees get to wear jeans at work!
- Innovative atmosphere
- Friendly employees
- We’re allowed to take breaks (as long as work is still getting done!)
- Lots of meetings where we get to collaborate and share ideas
- No one has asked us to go on a coffee run… yet!
RainDance is providing us with opportunities that are beyond what any typical high school student or recent graduate would be able to experience. It’s great not being micromanaged like we experience at school. So far, our time at RainDance has been valuable, and we are looking forward to the rest of our time here. Stay tuned for further details and discoveries we make during our time at RainDance.
– Conor, Sam and Mike